Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

[Note 224.1] The Llanidloes and Newtown was the first railway in central Wales. Ref http://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/GreatWestern/Narrowgauge/Llanidloes.html]

[Note 224.2] It opened on 4th August 1853

[Note 224.3] A speech given at the opening ceremony outlined the expected benefits the railway would bring. See the report quoted below]

[Note 224.4] Lack of funds halted work in 1858 but resumed in 1859

[Note 224.5] Milford was one of the first locomotives on the line

[Note 224.6] A station on the line

[Note 224.7] Probably a reference to the Contractor David Davies (1818-1890) of Llandinam.

[Note 224.8] may refer to either the Chairman George Hampton Whalley, M.P., of Ruabon, or the Deputy Chairman William Lefeaux, a local mine owner.

[Note 224.9] An eyewitness estimated that 48 trucks and carriages carrying 3,000 people were drawn by two locomotives. See report quoted below

[Note 224.10] The navvies were provided with “good fare”. See report quoted below

[Note 224.11] It was common for railway companies to provide special costumes for the navvies to wear at opening ceremonies]

[Note 224.12] work was due to start on the Mid-Wales line a few days later

 

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.